WHERE TO USE
Internal and external grouting of floors and walls in all types of ceramic (double-fired, single-fired, klinker, porcelain, etc.), terracotta, stone material (natural stone, marble, granite, agglomerates, etc.), and glass and marble mosaic. Some application examples
• Grouting floors and walls in areas subject to intense traffic (airports, shopping centres, restaurants, bars, etc.).
• Grouting floors and walls in residential areas (hotels, private houses, etc.).
• Grouting floors and walls on façades, balconies, terraces and on swimming pools.
Ultracolor Plus is a mortar formulated not to be irritant made up of a blend of special hydraulic binders, graded aggregates, special polymers, water repellent admixtures, organic molecules and pigments. With Ultracolor Plus, the Ultracolor technology is based on a special, self-hydrating hydraulic binder which guarantees perfect colour uniformity, by two innovative technologies which are the result of MAPEI research: BioBlock® and DropEffect®. BioBlock® technology consists in special organic molecules which, by distributing themselves evenly in the micro-structure of the joints, block the formation of micro-organisms that cause mould damage. The DropEffect® technology, with a synergic effect, reduces the absorption of surface water. When it is mixed with water in the proportions recommended and correctly applied, Ultracolor Plus forms a grouting mortar with the following characteristics:
• water-repellent and droplet-effect;
• uniform colour and free of staining since Ultracolor Plus does not produce efflorescence. From an analysis carried out using an electronic microscope (SEM), note that, compared with a Portland cement-based binder in a normal cementitious grouting mortar, the special cements in Ultracolor Plus do not generate the calcium hydroxide (hydrolysis lime) crystals during the hydration process, which cause efflorescence;
• colours resistant to ultra-violet rays and atmospheric agents;
• short waiting time before cleaning and easy finishing;
• ready for light foot traffic and for use after a short period of time;
• smooth, compact finished surface, with low water absorbency for easy cleaning;
• shrinkage compensated, therefore free from cracks;
• optimum resistance to abrasion, compression and flexural strength, even after freeze/thaw cycles, and therefore optimum durability;
• good resistance to acids with pH > 3.
• Ultracolor Plus does not contain Portland cement and must not be mixed with gypsum or other hydraulic binders; never add water to the mix once it has started to set.
• Never mix Ultracolor Plus with salty or dirty water.
• Use the product at temperatures between +5°C and +35°C.
• Carry out grouting only on substrates which are sufficiently dry or have been waterproofed, to avoid a whitish film forming on the surface.
• In order to avoid an uneven colour finish, we do not recommend sprinkling Ultracolor Plus powder onto the filled grout joints.
• When resistance to acids or, where extreme cleanliness or sterile conditions are required, use a suitable acid-resistant epoxy grout.
• Expansion and movement joints on walls and floors must never be filled with Ultracolor Plus. Use a suitable flexible sealant from the MAPEI range.
• The surface of certain tiles or stone material may have micro-porosity or a rough surface. We recommend carrying out a preliminary test to check how easy it is to clean the surface where necessary to apply a protective treatment to the surface, to ensure the grout does not penetrate into the surface porosity of the tiles.
• If an acid-based cleaner is used to clean the joint, we recommend testing the product beforehand to check the resistance of the colour. Always make sure that the joints are thoroughly rinsed down to avoid leaving traces of acid in the joints.
Preparing the joints Grouting may take place when the adhesive is completely set. Make sure that the waiting times indicated in the technical data sheets are followed. The joints must be clean, free of dust and empty down to at least 2/3 of the thickness of the tiles. Any adhesive or mortar which has seeped into the joints while laying the tiles must be removed while still fresh. With very absorbent tiles, high temperatures or windy conditions, dampen the joints with clean water. Preparing the mix While stirring, pour Ultracolor Plus into a clean, rust-free container containing 20-26% by weight of clean water. Mix the grout with a low-speed mixer to avoid air entrainment, until a smooth paste is obtained. Let the mix stand for 2-3 minutes, and stir again briefly before use. Use the mix within 20-25 minutes of its preparation. Applying the grout Fill the joints with the Ultracolor Plus mix using a special MAPEI grout float or rubber squeegee, without leaving any gaps or steps. Remove any excess of Ultracolor Plus from the surface, by moving the float or the rubber squeegee diagonally to the joints while the mix is still fresh.
When the mix loses its plasticity and becomes opaque, which usually takes place after 15-30 minutes, clean off the excess Ultracolor Plus with a hard cellulose, damp sponge (e.g. a MAPEI sponge), working in a diagonal direction to the joints. Rinse the sponge frequently, using two different containers of water: one to remove the excess mix from the sponge, and the other, containing clean water, to rinse the sponge. This operation may also be carried out with a machine with a sponge belt. It is possible to finish the surface also when the mix is partially set, after 50-60 minutes, with a damp Scotch-Brite® sponge: pass it over the joints to even out the surface. This operation may be also carried out with a single disk rotary machine with special Scotch-Brite® type felt disk. If the cleaning operation is carried out too soon (the mix is still too plastic), some of the mix may be removed from the joints, which may change their colour. If grouting is carried out in extremely hot, dry or windy weather, we recommend that the joints filled with Ultracolor Plus are dampened after a few hours. Damp curing of Ultracolor Plus improves its final characteristics in all cases. Final cleaning of the powdery film of Ultracolor Plus from the surface may be carried out with a clean, dry cloth.
After the final cleaning operation, if the surface still has traces of Ultracolor Plus due to incorrect application, it may be cleaned down with an acidic cleaner (e.g. Keranet), by following the relevant instructions, at least 24 hours after grouting the joints. Only use Keranet on surfaces which are resistant to acid, and never use it on marble or limestone material.
SET TO LIGHT FOOT TRAFFIC
Floors are ready for light foot traffic after approx. 3 hours.
READY FOR USE
Surfaces grouted with Ultracolor Plus may be put into service after 24 hours. Basins and swimming pools may be filled up 48 hours after grouting. Cleaning Tools and containers may be cleaned using plenty of water whilst Ultracolor Plus is still fresh.
The consumption of Ultracolor Plus varies according to the size of the joints and the size and thickness of the tiles. The table illustrates a number of examples of the consumption in kg/m². PACKAGING 23 kg bags, and 4x5 kg or 8x2 kg alupack boxes dependent on the colour.
Ultracolor Plus is available in 34 colours of the MAPEI range (please refer to the colour samples).
Ultracolor Plus may be stored for 12 months (for 23 kg bags) and 24 months (for 2 and 5 kg bags) in its original packaging in a dry place. However, after a certain amount of time, the setting time may extend but without modifying the final characteristics of the product. The product complies with the conditions of Annex XVII to Regulation (EC) N° 1907/2006 (REACH) - item 47.
SAFETY INSTRUCTIONS FOR PREPARATION AND APPLICATION
Ultracolor Plus is not hazardous according to the current regulation regarding the classification of mixtures. The product contains special hydraulic binders which, in contact with sweat or other body fluids, may produce a slightly irritating alkali reaction. During use, wear protective gloves and goggles and take the usual precautions for handling chemicals. For further and complete information about the safe use of our product please refer to the latest version of our Material Safety Data Sheet.
PRODUCT FOR PROFESSIONAL USE.
Although the technical details and recommendations contained in this product data sheet correspond to the best of our knowledge and experience, all the above information must, in every case, be taken as merely indicative and subject to confirmation after long-term practical application; for this reason, anyone who intends to use the product must ensure beforehand that it is suitable for the envisaged application. In every case, the user alone is fully responsible for any consequences deriving from the use of the product.